Almost every summer party or barbecue has some kind of cole slaw or cabbage salad. I love old fashioned Cole Slaw but never really feel good about eating it because it is usually loaded with lots of fat and sugar and pretty much devoid of real nutritional value.
This collard slaw is the perfect anecdote to summer slaw withdrawal.
The taste is traditional, the fat and calories aren’t! Plus, it has raw greens and is ridiculously easy to make. Serve anywhere you would normally have Cole Slaw and Enjoy!
- This slaw needs time to marinate or sit in the fridge before serving. The acid from the lemon juice works to break down the collard greens and cabbage, softening both, making them more tender and more easily digested.
- If you don’t have light Mayo, you could try subbing Plain Greek Yogurt.
- Coconut Palm Sugar is my cooking staple. It is low in the glycemic index, minimally processed and has a wonderfully complex flavor that I can’t get enough of! Any regular, organic or raw sugar can be used.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Collard Slaw. Cole Slaw with Collard Greens.
- 1 bunch collard greens cleaned, stems removed and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 6 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 pound head green cabbage core removed and shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- ? cup light Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 2 medium lemons
- 11/2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or raw sugar
- 11/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Wash collard green leaves. Remove center stem. Slice leaves into 1/2” strips.
- Clean scallions, trim ends and thinly slice.
- Remove core from cabbage and quarter. Peel carrots and shred cabbage and carrots. I like to use the food processor with the shredding attachment as it only takes two minutes to shred everything. Alternately, use a box shredder or hand grater.
- Combine collards, scallions, cabbage and carrots in a large glass bowl and set aside.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice (remove seeds), sugar, salt, pepper and celery seeds together until well combined.
- Pour over slaw until thoroughly mixed in. I just get in there and use my hands.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to meld and greens to soften.
- Serve and Enjoy!