“Cooookie, Cooookie, Cooookie, Coooo-keys” as my son likes to say. The funny thing is we don’t really give him many cookies. Although he has a serious cracker addiction, he has only had three or four different types of cookies in his short life – and only a handful of each of those cookies. But with Cookie Monster making an ever-increasing appearance in our household, cookies have become much more important.
This Biscotti was born out of my desire to please myself, my husband, and my son with a sweet treat everyone would love. My husband loves coffee and was in the mood for a cookie he could dip into his afternoon coffee (read: sixth cup) at work. My son, well, yeah, we covered that – he is just a little past two, loves the word cooookie, adores walnuts and will pretty much eat anything that is crunchy. Me, I didn’t want these cookies to be more than 2 Points Plus, needed for them to be relatively easy to throw together and desired a crunchy Biscotti that still had enough give when you bite it that you weren’t going to break a tooth. Complex household right?
Well, I am happy to report that in all of our high-maintenance glory we have a huge success – these Biscotti are fantastic! I hope your family loves them as much as mine.
- I used King Arthur Flours and Organic Sugar.
- You really want to let these cool all the way before storing them or they will lose their crunch. The only problem with that is that they sit out on the counter all afternoon and slowly get devoured by hungry cookie monsters.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Cinnamon Walnut Biscotti
- 1 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour room temp
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350F.
- Measure flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, almond milk, vanilla and butter. Finally, coarsely chop walnuts.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine and proceed to stir in chopped walnuts.
Place butter in microwave for 30 to 45 seconds and melt completely.
- In another bowl, whisk almond milk, eggs, melted Earth Balance and vanilla.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry, mixing until fully incorporated (don't over mix).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grab some all purpose flour and lightly flour a work surface. Place dough on work surface and divide in half.
- Lightly flour your hands and form each dough section into an oval log. Place 4 to 6" apart (they need to spread) on the baking sheet.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until logs feel firm to touch (I baked for 25 min). Pull out baking sheet (leave oven on) and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer logs to work surface and proceed to slice. If you want evenly sized Biscotti, cut them as follows: (resulting in 16 slices per log) (quarters)
- Transfer back to baking sheet (don't need a lot of room between them) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip each Biscotti to other side and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- I recommend a layer of parchment or wax paper between each layer. Enjoy!