A quick and easy low carb “Cauliflower Fried Rice” that highlights the abundance of asparagus available right now!
Cauliflower fried rice is one of my absolute favorite ways to use cauliflower rice. Especially now that I have pretty much abandoned making my own cauliflower rice and rely on a well-stocked and steady supply from Trader Joe’s.
I’ve even had some readers tell me they are now starting to see bags of riced cauliflower in other grocery stores like Wegmans and select Whole Foods Markets. How awesome right? Well, if you live near a Trader Joe’s, my recommendation is to get it there since the organic is just $1.99 / bag (frozen).
OK, back to this dish. Let’s talk asparagus. I always get excited when Spring produce starts to come back into the stores because it means a beautiful and colorful array of fresh vegetables and fruits are about to flood the markets.
But, for me, when it comes to Spring produce – it’s all about the asparagus. I can not get enough of them and find myself cooking them three to four times a week a bunch of different ways. Stir fries and fried rice are some of my favorites because you can easily retain that nice crunch of the asparagus stalk since they only get cooked for a couple of minutes on high heat.
This Chicken and Asparagus Cauliflower Fried Rice is a perfect one-pot lunch or dinner, freezes well, reheats well and is low carb, gluten free and dairy free!
- You can easily substitute any other protein (shrimp, pork, beef, tofu, tempeh, extra eggs, etc.) for the chicken, just adjust the cooking time.
- I used gluten free Tamari because I was out of Coconut Aminos. Either will work!
- If you can’t find already riced cauliflower, here is my easy tutorial to make it yourself!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
A quick and easy low carb "Cauliflower Fried Rice" that highlights the abundance of asparagus available right now!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs cut into 1" pieces
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1/2 pound asparagus trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free tamari or 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- splash gluten free fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- Sriracha for serving
- Beat eggs, set aside. Trim chicken of any large pieces of fat, cut into 1" pieces. Chop onion and carrot. Trim ends of asparagus and cut into 1" pieces.
- Heat a large (14") frying pan OR Wok over medium heat. Add 1/2 T of the avocado oil. Once hot, add beaten eggs.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until eggs are set. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another 1/2 T of avocado oil to the pan and turn the heat up to medium high. Once hot, add the cubed chicken plus a pinch of kosher salt and some pepper. Allow to cook undisturbed for 2 to 3 minutes then use a spatula or wooden spoon to move the chicken around the pan to continue cooking until chicken is just about cooked through (about another 4 to 5 minutes).
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1/2 T of avocado oil. Once hot, add chopped onion, carrot and asparagus. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cauliflower rice and frozen peas and continue cooking until cauli rice has softened (cooking time will depend on if you are using frozen cauli rice or fresh but should only be a few minutes for either).
- Add cooked egg and chicken back to pan along with tamari, fish sauce and freshly ground pepper. Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes until everything is well mixed and warmed through.
- Taste, adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Remove from heat, finish with toasted sesame oil. Serve topped with Sriracha and Enjoy!