This is a really good veggie burger. No, seriously this is a GREAT veggie burger! There are so many options out there when it comes to homemade veggie burgers. I have tried (way too many) a lot of recipes and variations and am just never happy with the outcome. They are usually too bland, too mushy, too hard, have too many calories, or just take too long to make. I have been working on perfecting a veggie burger for a long time and I am happy to share that we have a winner!
My cousin Jessica gets a shout out. She is responsible for giving my husband a subscription to Yoga Journal last Christmas. Yoga Journal, in turn, published a recipe for a Black Bean Oatmeal Burger that was the inspiration for my Black Bean Veggie Burger.
After months of playing with different ingredients, I am really happy with these. I have a couple of batches in my freezer and have to say that I have had one for lunch almost every other day for a couple weeks now and am still not sick of them. Oh, and important to note that these burgers are so delicious that my husband (a beef burger connoisseur) loves them and requests them regularly!
These burgers are awesome but I think I may have mentioned that.
- Let these cool completely before refrigeration or freezing for best results
- To reheat, I suggest a dry non-stick pan on medium heat. Heat the burger for 3 to 4 minutes each side.
Inspired By: Yoga Journal Magazine – Black Bean Oatmeal Burgers
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 15- ounce can black beans 1.5 cups, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms cleaned, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- parchment paper for baking
- Preheat your oven to 400F and gather all of your ingredients together (EASY!).
- Pour entire can of diced tomatoes into a strainer.
- Pull out your food processor. The order in which you put the ingredients into the food processor makes or breaks the texture of these veggie burgers. First, let's put scallions and garlic in.
- Now, put quartered mushrooms, parsley, and cilantro leaves in on top of garlic and scallions.
- Next goes the beans, tomatoes, cumin, and kosher salt on top of the mushroom mixture.
- Last, put the oats in on top of the mixture.
- I recommend transferring the veggie burger mixture to a bowl at this point to make scooping easier. (gross looking picture warning)
- Get two baking sheets and line them with parchment paper (these burgers will stick to tinfoil and cook beautifully on parchment without adding any spray or additional fat). Use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop the burger mixture onto the trays. I did five burgers per tray because I couldn't fit all ten on one tray and wanted them to cook evenly.
- Use a spatula to flatten and shape the mix into burgers.
- Place the trays into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes, gently flip the burgers
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!