Things have been crazy, busy, exceptional, stressful, exhausting and exciting lately. A lot right? That is probably why I have been oscillating between feeling overwhelmed and the energizer bunny most of the time.
You probably noticed I haven’t been posting as much. I miss talking to you guys and sharing what is going on in my little corner of the world but what is going on is keeping me from having the time to share. Irony!
This Asian Cabbage Slaw with Chicken and Roasted Cashews is perfect busy food. This salad doesn’t take very long to assemble and there are a couple of ways you can save even more time (see NOTES below!) if you need to.
It’s best when it sits around all day so the cabbage softens and the flavors meld so make it the night before or in the morning.
- To save time, use rotisserie chicken and already shredded cabbage. Also, you can make the dressing a couple of days in advance.
- If you eat peanuts, they are great in place of the cashews.
- If you can’t find dry roasted cashews that aren’t coated in cheap oils, you can quickly roast them yourself. Buy raw cashews. Preheat oven to 400F. Spread cashews out on baking sheet and place on center rack. Roast 10 to 12 minutes, turning 1 to 2 times, until slightly brown. Remove and allow to cool completely before using. You can do this up to a week in advance.
- To slightly crush the cashews (or peanuts), place in a large measuring cup, use a smaller measuring cup to gently crush the nuts. You may need to toss them a few times to make sure you get them all. See this recipe for more details and photos.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Asian Cabbage Slaw with Chicken and Roasted Cashews. Paleo. Soy Free.
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos or gluten free Tamari
- 3 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 dash fish sauce
- 1 1" piece gingerroot peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 3 large scallions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 12 large basil leaves chiffonade cut
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces OR 1 3/4 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cup dry roasted cashews slightly crushed
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Begin by mixing together coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, Sriracha, lime juice, fish sauce, grated ginger root and kosher salt. Whisk or shake until well combined and set aside until ready to use.
I recommend slicing the cabbage into thin strips by hand and avoiding the food processor for this one as it will shred the cabbage into pieces that are just too small and won't stand up to the dressing over time. Alternately, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage at most grocery stores.
Thinly slice scallions (both white and dark parts).
Finely chop cilantro and measure 1/3 cup. Stack basil leaves on top of each other and roll. Thinly slice into ribbons or "chiffonade".
Toss cabbage, shredded carrots, scallions, cilantro, basil and cooked chicken pieces in a large bowl.
Pour in dressing and toss until well mixed.
Add in slightly crushed dry roasted cashews and sesame seeds, toss and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is usually best after a couple of hours when the cabbage softens and flavors meld a bit.