My older son is obsessed with pizza. Specifically, pepperoni pizza. And, unfortunately, he has been mostly anti-egg for a while now. He used to happily eat scrambled eggs as a baby but a couple of years ago decided he didn’t really like the texture anymore.
He is a great eater and very open-minded about food but I really want him to eat eggs – especially for breakfast. Since you know I am a bit obsessed with making egg casseroles, I decided to marry his obsession with pepperoni pizza and my obsession with egg casseroles and viola – the mother of all breakfasts – the Pepperoni Pizza Egg Casserole.
Oh my word – this thing is good. Like, crazy good.
Not only did my older son happily eat it for breakfast but he ALSO had a piece for lunch. Since he eats dairy, I melted a little mozzarella on top of his and served it with an additional side of pizza sauce for dipping. Drool.
If you eat cheese, you could also whisk 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella in with the eggs. If not, it’s plenty delicious without it!
This freezes great (after being cooked, cut and cooled) and is Whole30 compliant as long as you use a sugar-free pizza sauce and the right kind of pepperoni.
7 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 8
5 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 18 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 to 12 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced plus more whole leaves for top
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 5 ounces high-quality pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a large baking dish (
- In a large mixing bowl, crack eggs. Add Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Whisk or beat until slightly foamy.
- Reserving some of the whole basil leaves and whole pepperoni for the top of the egg casserole. thinly slice the majority of both the basil leaves and pepperoni and toss in with the beaten eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the greased casserole dish.
- Add pizza sauce by pouring about 1 Tablespoon (doesn't need to be exact) at a time into casserole, trying to distribute evenly.
- Gently place remaining whole basil leaves and whole pepperoni slices on top of the casserole (it's OK if some sinks in, it will rise while cooking).
- Bake uncovered on center rack for 55 to 60 minutes until center is firm to touch and edges are beginning to brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, slice into 8 squares and Enjoy!