Broccoli is easily one of my top five most favorite green vegetables, right up there with Kale, Collard Greens, Bok Choy and Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli). I could eat some of them at least once every single day. I love them all!
Generally I go for a simple preparation – maybe roasted with salt, pepper and a touch of oil or just quickly steamed. When it comes to Broccoli, though, I am the only one in my house who likes it plain. My husband is definitely NOT a Broccoli Lover. I have a harder time getting him to eat it than I do our toddler. My toddler actually loves broccoli roasted with a bit of Earth Balance. Isn’t it supposed to be the opposite?
I threw this together last week and everyone loved it so much, I made it again to take photos and share with you guys. If you already love broccoli like me, you will LOVE this and if you have Broccoli haters lurking in your house, try this recipe and see if they come around.
My husband even asked for more!
- Red Chili Oil – If you don’t have this ingredient, double up on either the canola oil or toasted sesame oil. If you want to buy some, try your local Asian market or Natural Foods store – just make sure the ingredients are simple — oil and chilies (no preservatives, colors or additives). Here is a natural option available from Amazon.
- Hoisin Sauce is one of those ingredients you definitely want to purchase at a natural foods store, Whole Foods or online. Most Hoisin sauces have added MSG, preservatives, and artificial coloring. I use Panda Brand Hoisin Sauce, I buy it at Whole Foods.
- You can use Sambal Oelek or Chili Garlic Sauce. I usually buy Panda Brand Chili Garlic Sauce so I can be sure it is free of MSG and other additives.
- As for the Broccoli, evenly sized florets will work better but don’t make yourself nuts about it!
2 Points Plus Per Serving -- Recipe Serves 6
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1.5 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili oil (optional - see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or sambal oelek
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine oils, vinegar, sambal oelek and hoisin in a small bowl or container. Stir to combine. Grab a large ziploc bag and toss in broccoli florets. Pour sauce over broccoli, seal bag and shake to evenly distribute. You may have to get in there with your hand and really spread it around.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper and place broccoli in one layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges begin to get crispy. Serve and Enjoy!