Today is one of those days that I want some comfort food. Not your typical mac n’ cheese or burger comfort food; I want tofu and veggies! I know you think I must be a complete freak because who in the world craves tofu and veggies right? It’s me, freak over here (and maybe you too! 😉
There is just something about a simple meal with big Asian flavors that warms my soul. Today is one of those days. I made some Spicy Baked Tofu and raided my fridge for vegetables to stir fry. I found a head of broccoli and some shitake mushrooms. Next, I hit the pantry where I grabbed a can of water chestnuts, a yellow onion, a little garlic and a little ginger. Together with just a touch of soy and some sesame seeds, this made one delicious veggie dish.
Soul warming comfort foods for veggie loving freaks. Like me, and you. 😉
3 Points Plus per serving -- Recipes Makes 4 Servings -- Individual Serving is 1/4 finished dish
10 minPrep Time
6 minCook Time
16 minTotal Time
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or coconut oil
- 6 ounces Shitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 large head broccoli (approx 1.25 pounds)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic (depending on size), smashed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds + more for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved, cut into 8th's and fanned
- 1 8-ounce can whole water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- I used the stalks and florets of the broccoli. Cut the florets into even sized pieces and thinly slice the stems, peeling any really rough outside parts.
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems and slice caps into 1/2" pieces.
- Peel onion and slice in half. Cut into eighths and fan yielding individual onion pieces.
- Smash garlic and chop.
- Rinse water chestnuts, drain and mince.
- Grab canola oil, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds and soy sauce.
- Heat large frying pan over medium high heat. Add canola oil. Once hot, toss in mushrooms, broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Stir to combine and cover. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove cover, lower light to medium and make a little space in the center of pan and add sesame oil, crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Stir around for 30 seconds.
- Add water chestnuts, onion and soy sauce. Stir to combine, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are just soft.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!