Chicken Nuggets… classic, right?
Well, in my house they didn’t used to be. But with a toddler to feed, finger food is the latest rage around here. In fact, this Fall, Chicken Nuggets are the new black. Now the dilemma– how to make nuggets healthy, tasty, and super easy.
Enter my Old Bay Chicken Nuggets, 4 ingredients including the olive oil. Pretty amazing right?
If necessity is the mother of invention, these chicken nuggets are the lucky consequence of a bare pantry the day before food shopping. I scoured my cabinets to see what I could coat these bites of chicken breast in that would satisfy my toddler and not add on a ton of unnecessary Points Plus for me.
Combining the cornmeal and old bay is so easy and gives the chicken the perfect crispy crust with a hint of spice. Dip these in barbeque sauce or organic ketchup and they get even better. I served them with some roasted broccoli and potato wedges.
The best thing about these nuggets is that they are so freezer friendly, meaning make a big batch, cook them through, then freeze them. Pop them in the microwave and viola, “fast food”.
- There are many types of cornmeal out there so make sure to use fine ground cornmeal. I buy mine in bulk at Whole Foods but Bob’s Red Mill also makes a good one.
- If you are not familiar with Old Bay Seasoning, well then you should immediately book a flight to Baltimore and get some Blue Crabs steamed in Old Bay. It will most likely change your life, and at the very least, make you buy a container of Old Bay. Growing up on the East Coast and in Old Bay territory, we used it for a lot of dishes besides Blue Crabs. It has just the right amount of tart spiciness yet is still mild in small doses. A great addition to your pantry!
- I use a Prepara Oil Mister. It is great, easy to clean, doesn’t clog and easily cuts my oil usage in half for applications like this.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Chicken Nuggets... classic, right? Well, in my house they didn't used to be. But with a toddler to feed, finger food is the latest rage around here. In fact, this Fall, Chicken Nuggets are the new black. Now the dilemma-- how to make nuggets healthy, tasty, and super easy.Enter my Old Bay Chicken Nuggets, 4 ingredients including the olive oil.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or Prepara olive oil mister
Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Combine corn meal with old bay.
Using your fingers, dip each nugget into the corn meal mixture until coated on all sides. Place on a plate.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and use Prepare to spray with olive oil. If you don't have an olive oil mister, put 1 teaspoon of olive oil in pan.
Place chicken nuggets in a non-stick skillet, making sure not to overcrowd them. They need room in order to brown.
Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and Enjoy!