More turmeric. I am on an endless quest to ensure that our little family consumes turmeric regularly (regularly meaning at least twice a week).
This One Pot Turmeric Chicken with Vegetables is an easy way to accomplish that. Its a simple to prepare one pot meal that smells heavenly and tastes even better.
For me, when it comes to cooking with turmeric, my personal challenge is finding ways to use it creatively outside of just the typical East Asian and Indian dishes that I love.
I am proud to say that this recipe does exactly that. It has a unique flavor from the combination of spices that is smoothed out by the fennel, which pretty much melts into a creamy and wonderful sauce. The turmeric gently enhances the flavors and isn’t so bold that it is overpowering.
This has quickly become a family favorite. I hope you love it as much as we do!
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Cook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 20 to 25 turns freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 large (or 2 medium) shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds russet or yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 roma tomatoes (approx 3/4 lb), quartered, seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for serving
- Peel and roughly chop the shallot.
- Trim fennel bulbs of greens and end. Thinly slice.
- Wash and cube potatoes into 1" pieces. I like to leave the skin on for a more rustic dish but feel free to peel them if you prefer.
- Quarter the tomatoes and gently scoop or squeeze out seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Measure oil, spices and grab fresh thyme.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat a large dutch oven (I used an oval 9 1/2 Quart Le Creuset )
- over medium high heat. Once hot, add oil and then chicken pieces (top side down). Sprinkle with some of the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown for 6 to 8 minutes or until skin releases and has some nice color. You are not fully cooking the chicken, just rendering the skin a bit and adding some color and flavor.
- Remove the chicken pieces to another dish and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add shallots, fennel and potatoes to dutch oven.
- Toss to coat in remaining oil and sprinkle remaining salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika and cumin on. Toss again until well coated and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, add tomatoes and fresh thyme. Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables.
- Cover and roast for 90 minutes. Check at about 45 minutes and spoon sauce over chicken to keep moist.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle fresh parsley, serve and Enjoy!