Mostly Veggie Soup. A hearty and comforting winter soup loaded with an abundance of vegetables, a little bit of meat and a touch of rice!
Well, Happy New Year! 2017 is finally here and I couldn’t be more excited. 2016 was a bit of strange year in so many ways and I love nothing more than a clean slate and a fresh start.
Last year I was plagued by not enough sleep, not enough self-care and overall, just not enough time for me. I left that in 2016 and this year, I am making myself a (high) priority.
Something that I find nourishing is soup. Especially soup loaded with veggies. My family tends to prefer soups with sausage, meat or chicken so this Mostly Veggie Soup is basically a happy compromise in a bowl.
It’s a big batch of soup, loaded with a wide variety and textures of vegetables and just enough sausage to make the boys and my husband happy. I wound up adding some rice to give this soup that nice thickness that is so comforting in the winter and cold weather.
I used mild Italian sausage but you could swap ground chicken, ground turkey, ground pork, ground beef or even crumbled chorizo as this recipe is pretty flexible.
What about you? What is the thing that you are working on for 2017?
- Sorry there are no in-process photos for this recipe. I lost them during a winter break-toddler-using-my-small-camera-episode.
- If you want this to be vegetarian, I recommend adding 1/4 cup additional rice and adjusting the seasonings before adding the rice and then again after.
- Sweet potatoes will work but I recommend white sweet potatoes as they are firmer and don’t get as mushy as yams or garnets.
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound uncooked mild Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2" half-moons
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1/2" squares
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" squares
- 12 cups broth or stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2" squares
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Peel and halve onions, thinly slice and set aside.
- Thinly slice celery.
- Peel carrots and cut into 1/2" half-moons.
- Wash eggplant and cut into 1/2" squares (leave skin on).
- Peel potatoes, cut into 1/2" squares and soak in cold water until ready to use (drain before adding to soup!)
- Wash bell pepper, remove seeds and ribs and cut into 1/2" squares.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add olive oil and crumbled sausage. Saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until pink is gone from sausage.
- Add onions, celery, carrot, turmeric, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- Add cubed eggplant and potatoes. Toss until coated and add broth along with crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add rinsed rice, cubed bell pepper, fresh thyme sprigs and cover. Lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cubed bell pepper.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Serve and Enjoy!