Oh, hello there! Did you miss me?
I missed you
I have been buried underneath computer problems. Problems involving too-full hard drives, lack of space, memory and any functionality. I wish I could say it’s 100% solved but at least we are working on it. And, yes, I have an external hard drive and yes, that is full too.
So, even though I have been cooking and snapping pictures as usual, I haven’t been able to upload any of it to share with you. Until now, thanks to my husband and his free hard drive space.
Since it is so cold everywhere right now, let’s get back in the swing with some soup – this Quick Chicken Soup Recipe is loaded with Carrots, White Beans and Swiss Chard is perfect for a weeknight dinners and comes together really quickly. It tastes like it has been simmering all day and makes enough to have leftovers.
I used cooked butterbeans (using this method) but any creamy white beans will do, including canned.
- If you do not have homemade chicken stock or broth, I really like this product. It is very clean tasting and has no funky ingredients.
- As for the greens, I had Green Swiss Chard on hand but I think Kale, Collard Greens or even Baby Spinach would work so use what you have
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 to 8 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 medium carrots, cut into ¼” rounds
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups cooked white beans (or 2 14.5-ounce cans rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 head Swiss Chard, stems removed, cut into small pieces
- Begin by placing the garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped and add onion. Pulse a couple of times until until is just chopped.
- Peel carrots and cut into ¼” rounds.
- Remove stems from Chard and cut leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Combine fresh thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns in a mesh spice ball, spice bag or unbleached cheesecloth bundle tied with twine and set aside.
- Lastly, cut chicken breast up into small chunks.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil then garlic, onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cubed chicken breast, kosher salt and spice ball. Stir until combined and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add beans along with both chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add swiss chard and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and use a tongs to remove spice ball (or bag or whatever) from soup. Discard. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve and Enjoy!