When it comes to non-dairy milks, Hemp is my jam. It is so rich, so thick and so creamy, it makes a perfect substitute for whole milk in almost any recipe.
Plus, it is nut free which makes it a great alternative to those avoiding nuts (and coconut). You probably already know this because I frequently recommend Hempmilk but today we are going to focus on an old-school recipe revamped with Pacific Foods Hemp Original.
Tapioca Pudding. Specifically, Spiced Hempmilk Tapioca Pudding.
This pudding screams Fall. It is a quick version that yields an impressively thick pudding, almost reminiscent of a rice pudding but infused with star anise, cinnamon and cardamom. Combined with Pacific Foods Hemp Original, it is truly out of this world.
- If you prefer a lighter, looser tapioca pudding, I suggest using an additional 1/2 cup of Hempmilk or decreasing the tapioca to 1/3 cup.
- Another option is to beat the egg whites until fluffy and then gently fold them in at the end right before adding the vanilla. I prefer a thick pudding and truthfully, don’t want to be bothered with an extra step (and dirty bowl) for this recipe. One of the things I appreciate the most about it, is how easy and quickly this comes together and sets.
- I originally tried this recipe with coconut palm sugar and while we loved the taste, my family was put off by the dark color of the pudding. Even though it is only 1/4 cup, I just wasn’t up for using regular sugar. Both maple syrup and honey changed the taste too much so I wound up favoring agave for this recipe.
- Make sure you use “small pearl tapioca” and not instant or large as the cooking times are different.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Spiced Hempmilk Tapioca Pudding
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
- 3 cups Pacific Foods Hemp Original
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon to sprinkle for serving
- hemp hearts for serving optional
Combine tapioca pearls, hemp milk, cinnamon sticks and whole star anise together in a small pot. Set aside and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
Add ground cardamom and sea salt.
Place pot over medium heat and slowly whisk in agave and egg yolks one at a time. Continue whisking while you bring it to a simmer.
As soon as the mixture begins to bubble, lower light to lowest possible setting and continue to whisk until desired consistency is reached. This usually only takes 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and pour into serving dishes.
Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and hemp hearts (optional). Serve warm or chilled and Enjoy!
Individual Serving Size is Approx 1/2 Cup -- Serves 6
Disclosure: I am being compensated by Pacific Foods as a Culinary Ambassador. As always, I only partner with companies whose ethics and ingredients align with my values and am proud to partner with Pacific Foods.