Back in early September, my friend Kirsten from Farm Fresh Feasts posted a Tamale Pie with Hatch Chilies that had me drooling. This started a major pregnancy craving and I couldn’t stop thinking about making it or something like it. All I knew was that I had to have it!
We were having pretty warm weather through the beginning of October and even though I was seriously jonesing to create this dish, I had to be patient and wait until “real” chili season hit around here, which was thankfully only a couple of (painful) weeks later.
Then I perfected this Beef Chili with Butternut Squash and the last time that I made it, I made sure to make a double batch so that we could have a Skillet Chili Pie with Cornbread Topping later that week.
You could use any chili recipe you like, be it beef, turkey, chicken or vegetarian. The real key is to make sure your chili is made in advance as you don’t want to pour piping hot chili into the skillet and the point of this is that it is super, duper, ridiculous quick and easy.
We are talking half hour weeknight dinner quick. Just enough time to make a salad and set the table quick.
- This could easily be made Dairy-Free by eliminating the shredded cheese and being sure to use plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk for the cornbread. Also, be sure you are using a dairy-free chilli.
- If you don’t have a 12″ cast iron skillet, you can make this in a Pyrex style baking dish.
- I used Hatch chilies that I flash froze when they were in season but canned green chilies are just fine!
Inspired By: Tamale Pie with Hatch Chilies from Farm Fresh Feasts
8 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 8 (5 Points Plus Per Serving without the Cheese)
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 12" well-seasoned cast iron skillet
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef tallow or olive oil
- 6 cups your favorite chili (see NOTES)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk (dairy milk or plain, unflavored non-dairy milk)
- 1 1/2 cups organic non-GMO cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup diced Hatch chilies or 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease the cast iron skillet with the tallow or olive oil until well coated.Pour in chili (can be cold or even warm but not hot) and shake skillet so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of chili.
- Grab a bowl and beat egg with milk. Add cornmeal, baking soda, salt and diced green chilies. Mix until well combined and pour over top the cheese and chili. Use a spatula to even out if necessary.
- Place in the oven and cook 30 minutes or until edges of cornbread are a bit brown.
- Remove, allow to cool to 10 minutes. Cut into 8 pie pieces, serve and Enjoy!