Lets’ get it out of the way and make it clear, this is my interpretation of Huevos Rancheros. An interpretation based on what was available in my refrigerator and pantry when a friend graciously gave me half a dozen unbelievably fresh eggs from his very own chickens. An interpretation that came out delicious enough to serve you up the recipe!
This makes a perfect weeknight dinner or hearty weekend breakfast. You can (and should) prepare the Guacamole and Black Bean Salsa Smash ahead of time. To save time and have a glass of wine while you assemble this meal or sleep in a bit later. Once the Guacamole and Black Bean Salsa Smash are done, all that is left to do is fry the eggs and assemble!
If you happen to have tequila in your pantry and serve this with a Bloody Mariachi (Tequila Bloody Mary), do me a favor and invite me over?
- The hot sauce I use for most Mexican food is Cholula hot sauce.
Q: Do you like your eggs fried or scrambled for Huevos Rancheros?
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Healthy Huevos Rancheros
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 small sweet white onion chopped
- 1/2 small jalapeno seeds and ribs intact, chopped
- 15 ounce can of organic black beans drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked beans)
- 15 ounce can of no-salt added diced tomatoes drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- squeeze fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Everyday Guacamole see link for recipe
- La Sonoma Carb Cutting Tortillas or corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sweet white onion chopped
- Cholula Hot Sauce
- 0% Greek yogurt
- 8 eggs pan fried or scrambled in nonstick frying pan
- Gather ingredients. Prepare Guacamole if necessary. If using La Sonoma tortillas, let come to room temperature.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Set aside.
Toss garlic into food processor and use chopping blade to process. Add peeled and quartered onion, process until just chopped (not watery).
- Chop cilantro.
- Heat medium saucepan over medium heat. Add canola oil. Once hot, add onion, garlic and jalapeno mixture. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, drained tomatoes, cumin, salt and hot sauce.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash, leaving some chunks and texture.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro. Stir and set aside.
- Scramble or fry eggs.
- Individual Serving: One tortilla, 1/3 cup Black Bean Salsa Smash, 2 Eggs, 2 tablespoons Guacamole, 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt, chopped onion, chopped cilantro and a hot sauce drizzle to taste.
Individual Serving is 1 Tortilla, 1/3 cup Black Bean Salsa Smash, 2 Eggs, 2 tablespoons Guacamole, 1 tablespoon greek yogurt, chopped onion, cilantro and hot sauce to taste.