This Autumn Steak Salad with Kale is a satisfying meal in a bowl that is perfect for when the weather begins to turn. Grilled steak and butternut squash with crunchy sliced almonds over a bed of raw kale with garlic dressing.
This salad is the perfect transitional meal to take you into Fall. It’s got a raw or cold salad base but is topped with warm roasted squash and grilled (or pan fried or broiled) steak.
Last week I found myself with a ton of fresh Lacinato Kale and decided to use some of my Raw Garlic Dressing to make a massaged kale salad.
We had a of couple NY strip steaks defrosting and some already cubed butternut squash (hello Trader Joe’s) and I decided to combine everything together into what turned out to be this salad.
It was so delicious and satisfying, I had to re-make it to snap some pictures and share it with you guys.
This is a very simple dinner (or lunch!). You can make the massaged kale salad up to a day ahead and even roast the butternut squash up to two days ahead and then just reheat. That just leaves you with grilling, pan-frying or broiling the steaks.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 8 cups Lacinato Kale, de-stemmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 8 T Raw Garlic Dressing
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 pound NY strip steaks
- 4 T toasted sliced almonds
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- shaved Parmesan (optional)
- Combine chopped kale with Raw Garlic Dressing. Use your hands to gently massage the dressing into the kale leaves until well incorporated, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. You can do this up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Toss cubed butternut squash with 1 T olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, turning at least once, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper and cook to desired temperature. I grilled the steaks to medium but you could pan-fry them and finish in the already hot oven or broil - whatever works best and is easiest for you.
- If you bought raw sliced almonds, toss them onto a baking sheet and place into the oven for 5 to 6 minutes while squash is cooking, turning at least once. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place 2 cups of massaged kale salad in each bowl. Top each salad with 1/2 cup cooked squash, 1/3 of the cooked and sliced steak, 1 T sliced almonds and 1/4 cup sliced tomatoes. Top with shaved Parmesan (optional), serve and Enjoy!