It’s Food Matters Project Monday and this week, Jennifer from Simple and Amazing chose Raspberry Cabernet Sorbet (page 576). It’s a neat twist on a frozen dessert, combining wine, berries, tofu and a touch of sugar to produce a quick and easy sorbet.
See, I have this thing with wine, where I like (really like, like love) to drink it and frankly, the thought of adulterating a nice bottle of Cabernet by adding tofu and fruit and then freezing it, just creeped me out. However, this recipe did get me thinking about new flavor combos and inspired me to conjure up another Sangria recipe.
I saw a bottle of Rosé on sale at PCC Natural Markets and the description caught my eye.
“Ontañon “Mediel” Rosado Navarra — $8
From Ontañon’s Navarra vineyards that surf the frontier between Rioja and Navarra, this spicy, juicy blend of tempranillo and garnacha serves up bright notes of dusty cherry fruit that deepens to dark raspberry tones splashed with savory hints. Don’t be fooled, there’s WAY more wine here than the humble price would suggest!”
I immediately grabbed a bottle and knew that I was going to create a fun summery Sangria inspired by Bittman’s Sorbet. This Sangria is meant to be served fresh and doesn’t need hours to marinate. The speed and ease makes it great for serving impromptu guests or as a last-minute addition to your dinner menu. Or afternoon reading menu. Or sitting on the porch because it’s summer menu. Or any menu…. You get the point.
Bottom line- It’s good, easy and can be made last minute. You probably have the rest of the ingredients in your house already. Make some!
I chose to leave out liquor for this version, but if you have Blackberry Brandy on hand, I think it would be wonderful with an added 1/4 cup to the mix.
I have a feeling there are some interesting sorbet recipes floating around on The Food Matters Project members blogs. Click here to check it out!
4 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 5
5 minsPrep Time
- 1 750 ML bottle of Rosé Wine, preferably dry and fruity but not sweet
- 6 ounces organic raspberries
- 1 organic peach, pit removed and thinly sliced
- 1 organic lemon, 1/2 juiced and 1/2 thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- sparkling mineral water (or club soda) for serving
- Slice peach in half and remove pit. Thinly slice. Halve lemon and thinly slice one half. Squeeze juice (remove seeds) from other half. Combine palm sugar with hot water until dissolved.
- Combine all ingredients except club soda in a pitcher.
- Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes so flavors can blend. Serve with a splash of club soda over ice and Enjoy!