Yes, I am that excited about cucumbers. Mostly because it means summer is almost here and I will be able to slice, dice, and chop fresh cucumbers into dishes of all shapes and forms. Clearly I love all things cucumber – who doesn’t?
I am also hoping to grow some cucumbers (and tomatoes) out front in addition to our garden pots of greens and herbs. Which, by the way are doing (mostly) fabulously! I say mostly because our thyme and rosemary have stagnated. They don’t seem to be receding or dying off but are just not doing anything. Strange, especially because thyme and rosemary are considered excellent growers in this climate.
Back to this cucumber salad – so freaking easy!
Five minutes to make, no cooking and can be made ahead of time. If you are anything like me and love Asian flavors, you probably have most, if not, all of these ingredients in your pantry and fridge. If not, I implore you to get them and try this simple, yet delicious 1 Point salad.
Some serving suggestions…
Mango Shrimp * Superfood Stir-Fry * Curry Fried Rice with Hard-Boiled Egg * Sesame Orange Beef * Kimchi Fried Rice * Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps * Next Day Soba Noodles * Turmeric Grilled Chicken * Moo Shu Vegetables * Spicy Baked Tofu *
1 Point Plus Per Serving -- Recipe Makes 7 Servings -- Individual Serving Size is 1/2 Cup (Heaping)
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 2 large cucumbers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Brown Rice Miso (or White Miso)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Slice cucumbers in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to gently scoop the seeds out.
- Proceed to thinly slice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine miso, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds and hot water. Whisk until well combined.
- Toss in sliced cucumber, stir to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow cucumbers to soften and flavors meld.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Adapted From: Cooking Light Magazine, May 2011 Sesame-Miso Cucumber Salad