Four simple ingredients to make the juiciest and easiest Skinny Hamburgers you will ever try: excellent quality ground beef, shredded mushrooms, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
When it comes to burgers, we like to keep it simple. My philosophy is to get the best quality ingredients and keep it clean. We don’t eat burgers too often but when we do, I buy lean (not extra lean) grass fed, organic meat. A touch of salt, pepper and a hot grill and you are good to go.
Lately I’ve been looking for a way to trim my burgers down just a bit– Points Plus style– and finally settled on adding shredded crimini mushrooms. The mushrooms release moisture while cooking, keeping the burgers super moist without changing the color and texture of the ground beef.
One pound of ground beef (or buffalo) usually yields 4 burgers. Adding the mushrooms in this style yields 5 quarter-pound burgers at 5 Points Plus each—an increase in volume of 25%!! Tossed on a 2 Point Bun (see below) with 0 Point toppings and a side salad and you have a delicious and indulgent way to spend 7 Points Plus!
- If you want a tip to easily stem mushrooms, check out my Black Bean Veggie Burgers Recipe
- I used my food processor to shred the mushrooms, it took about 45 seconds. If you don’t have one, you could use a hand grater but please know if you do it by hand, it will take a while and may get frustrating because you will be working with small mushrooms by the end.
- When it comes to hamburger buns, I like to buy the best quality soft whole wheat buns I can find and then cut out a big section of them to cut the points. A typical bun is 4 Points Plus, I usually cut the middle section out by slicing off half of the top and half of the bottom to make it 2 Points Plus.
5 Points Plus per burger -- Recipes Makes 5 Burgers -- Individual Burger is approximately 4.3 ounces uncooked
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat), preferably organic and grass fed
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, washed, stems removed and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Buns (Make sure to account for Points Plus)
- Sliced Tomato
- Sliced Sweet Onion
- Mustard & Ketchup
- This is so easy there is no need to separate the instructions-- Just grab the ground meat and the mushrooms.
- Clean the mushrooms, remove the stems and fit your food processor with the shredder attachment. Shred the mushrooms.
- Toss meat, shredded mushrooms, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Form five evenly sized patties (if you want to use a digital scale they should weigh about 4.3 ounces each)
- Proceed to cook on grill or in a grill pan until your preferred temperature. We usually cook ours until medium. Serve with your choice of accompaniments and Enjoy!