Crockpot Lentil Soup
By,: Alyssa Brantley
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (or 4 small or 2 large)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large clove shallot, chopped
- 2 cups dry green lentils (rinsed)
- 8 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add in 15 Minutes Before Cooking Time Ends:
- 1 head of Swiss Chard, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- I used the food processor to do my chopping. Most of the veggies only need a couple of pulses.
- carrots first ...
- Then celery ...
- Then onion, garlic, and shallot all at once ...
- Place chopped carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and shallot into crockpot along with lentils, vegetable stock, canned tomatoes, bay leaf and dried thyme.
- Cover with lid and set cooking time (4 Hours on HIGH OR 8 Hours on LOW).
- Next, prep your swiss chard into bite-size pieces (I usually cut it both lengthwise and crosswise to achieve this), put in a bowl or ziploc bag and place in refrigerator for later.
- When cooking time is up, add in swiss chard, red wine vinegar, Kosher salt, black pepper, and ground cumin.
- Place lid back on and let sit covered for fifteen additional minutes before serving. This freezes great and makes 8 huge (1.5 cup) servings. Excellent served with a crusty bread and side salad. Enjoy!
Recipe by EverydayMaven™ at http://www.everydaymaven.com/2011/crockpot-lentil-soup/