Comfort Food Eggplant Casserole
By: Alyssa Brantley
- 1 package pre-prepared polenta, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 jar Trader Joe’s Rustico Pomodoro Pasta Sauce
- handful basil leaves
- handful flat leaf parsley (mostly leaves)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ¼" rounds
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- non-stick cooking spray
- Clean eggplant and proceed to slice into ¼" rounds.
- Place eggplant rounds in a colander and generously sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Let eggplant sit in colander while you prep the remaining ingredients. *See Comfort Food Zucchini Casserole for remaining prep instructions* http://www.everydaymaven.com/2011/comfort-food-zucchini-casserole/
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Cover casserole with tin foil and bake covered for 40 minutes.
- At 40 minutes, pull Casserole out, remove tin foil and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray and put back into the oven for 5 additional minutes. If bread crumbs are not brown and crispy, switch oven to Broil for an additional 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Pull out of oven and let cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
Recipe by EverydayMaven™ at http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/comfort-food-eggplant-casserole/