Crockpot Chana Dal with Spinach Soup
By: Alyssa Brantley
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions (or 1 large), chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3" piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chana dal, rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried chilies
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek seed
- 6 ounces organic baby spinach
- Grab your onion, garlic and ginger. Peel and quarter. Pulse in food processor.
- Be sure to pick over your dry beans and give them a good rinse. Measure out spices and set aside.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, once hot, add oil and then onion mixture. Cook approximately five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spice mixture, cook 1 minute stirring constantly. .
- Remove from heat and add to slow cooker along with chana dal, broth, water, coconut milk, and crushed tomatoes. Set to cook on HIGH for 4 Hours.
- Add baby spinach in for last 15 minutes of cooking time. Delicious served with brown rice, Quinoa, couscous or naan bread. Enjoy!
Recipe by EverydayMaven™ at http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/crockpot-chana-dal-with-spinach-soup/