How To Make Socca: Grain and Gluten Free Chickpea Flatbread. Also know as Chickpea or Garbanzo Bean Crepes is the perfect quick and easy answer to grain free, gluten free and vegan flatbread. Use as a wrap for sandwiches, cut into triangles to dip or even use as the base for pizza!
Have you ever heard of Socca? If you are not familiar, it is a flatbread or crepe made from chickpea flour. It’s naturally gluten free, grain free, egg free, dairy free and vegan.
Socca is a traditional dish from the South of France but there are variations of it all over the world. I’ve also seen it called Farinata, Torta di Ceci or Cecina and know that it’s popular in Italy as well.
I first had Socca in a Bistro and immediately fell in love with it. It’s thin and light and can be flavored with many combinations of herbs, spices and aromatics.
My friend Tina reminded me about Socca this past summer and I started making it at home. It takes (literally) minutes and is made with just a handful of ingredients. We prefer to eat it right away but I have tried flash-freezing it and it reheats pretty well in the oven.
- Chickpea flour or Garbanzo Bean Flour is also called Besan or Gram Flour
- You can use regular paprika in place of the smoked.
- Fresh crushed garlic is also wonderful in the batter as well as finely chopped fresh herbs.
- Some of the ways I like to use Socca are alongside a salad. As a pizza base. As a soft wrap for sandwiches. Really more of a roll-up since it’s pretty soft and pliable. Cut into triangles and used for dips like hummus.
- CLICK ON PICTURE BELOW FOR SOCCA PIZZA RECIPE
Serves 1/2 Socca
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until well mixed.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place a 12" cast iron pan on middle rack while oven preheats.
- Once oven reaches temperature, use oven mitts to carefully remove HOT cast iron pan to stove-top.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil and swirl to coat.
- Pour half of the Socca batter into the pan and swirl to evenly coat.
- Place pan back into oven and broil 3 to 4 minutes or until top is starting to brown.
- Remove, flip and broil for an additional 1 to 2 minutes (only if you want it extra crispy).
- Transfer to a cooling rack or serve immediately and Enjoy! See NOTES for serving ideas.