These Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Fritters are vegetarian, low carb, gluten free, grain free and loaded with flavor!
I’ve gone on and on before about my slight obsession with turmeric and how I try to make at least one dish a week that features turmeric. At this point, I think it’s common knowledge that turmeric is ridiculously good for you, tastes amazing and pretty much cures everything. OK, that last part is a bit of an exaggeration but I think turmeric is the new old thing and we all need to eat more of it.
These Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Fritters are super quick and easy — assuming you already have cauliflower rice made or stockpile the Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen like I do.
While I feature fresh turmeric root in this recipe, I know it can be hard to find so I gave a substitution below in the NOTES to use ground turmeric.
Some of my favorite ways to serve these are as a side dish, as part of breakfast, topped with some seasoned homemade mayo or with some veggies and sliced avocado for a light but filling lunch!
- You can substitute 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric for the fresh turmeric root.
- You can use organic, virgin coconut oil instead of avocado oil but the fritters may have a slight coconut flavor. If all you have is extra virgin olive oil and want to use that, I recommend lowering the heat a bit so the oil doesn’t burn.
- These freeze great if you allow to cool completely and then place a small piece of wax paper or parchment paper between each one.
- If you want to make a nut-free version, you can substitute cassava flour or gluten free flour for the almond meal.
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2" piece fresh turmeric root, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 T paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 T avocado oil, divided
- Finely chop onion. Use a small spoon to gently scrape the sides of the turmeric root to peel. Finely chop.
- Combine chopped onion, turmeric, cauliflower rice, eggs, almond meal and spices in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. Use a 1/3 cup measure to measure 8 to 9 patties out onto a plate.
- Heat a large (12") cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add 1 T of the avocado oil then 4 patties. Use a spatula to press down to flatten and cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook an additional 4 minutes on the other side.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm and Enjoy!