One of the most popular recipes on my site is my Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steaks. In what I like to call the “oven months”, aka when it’s not too warm in our kitchen to crank on our oven for an hour or so – we make this dish frequently. Probably 2 to 3 times per month as a side dish.
As delicious as it is, we were all starting to get sick of eating the same thing over and over again. Since I love cabbage, it’s really good for you and super cheap plus this is possibly the easiest side dish recipe around – I couldn’t let go of it and stop making it, I knew we just needed a different version.
After playing around a bit, I came up with another way for my family to eat roasted Cabbage Steaks but this time seasoned with fragrant Indian spices.
This also accomplishes my other on-going goal – to put turmeric on everything. Even though there is just a smidge here, it adds a lot of flavor and I know a lot of health benefits!
3 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 4
5 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 (approx 2lb) head of organic green cabbage, cut into 1" thick slices
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a baking sheet (optional: line with foil) with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small dish, combine olive oil with spices and mix until well combined.
- Pull off outer leaf of cabbage (it's usually dirty and nasty looking), cut cabbage from top to bottom (with bottom being core) into 1" thick slices.
- Use a pastry brush to spread half of the oil and spice mixture over all of the cabbage steaks.
- Gently flip the cabbage steaks over and spread the remaining oil and spice mixture over the other side.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks over and roast an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and Enjoy!