We have had a cold snap for the past week or so and have finally had to turn our heat on. Now, I know that most of the US and Canada has been buried under snow and ice, so I don’t expect you to feel bad for me in any way, shape or form. But, whenever it gets really cold, I like to warm up with a steaming mug of (healthy) Hot Chocolate.
This Hot Chocolate is Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free and unbelievably easy to make. It literally takes a couple of minutes and the best part is that it is ready to drink immediately. Don’t you hate when you make a cup of tea or hot chocolate that is so hot, you have to wait for it to cool off for what seems like forever?
With this recipe, I solved that problem by using a combination of boiling water and room temperature coconut milk – the combination delivers the perfect warm-hot beverage you can start drinking right away (particularly important when making for kids!).
If you find yourself making this frequently, I recommend pre-mixing the dry ingredients in a mason jar and then all you have to do is add the water, coconut milk and vanilla!
OPTIONAL: If I have a couple more minutes, this is delicious topped (as shown in the photo) with my Coconut Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder).
- While this recipe is for a single serving, I’ve successfully quadrupled this recipe and made a batch for up to four people at once.
- I almost always use Coconut Palm Sugar because it’s easy to measure and I love the toasted, nutty flavor it adds. I have substituted maple syrup and it’s good (still prefer the palm sugar) but haven’t tried any other sweetener.
- Similar to my Paleo Chocolate Pudding, I have used Raw Cacao Powder in place of the unsweetened cocoa powder but find that I need to add a touch more palm sugar to counter-balance the added bitterness.
8 Points Plus Per Serving -- Serves 1 (PP does not include coconut whipped cream)
2 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
4 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 Tablespooons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk ( from a can )
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine cocoa powder, palm sugar, cinnamon and salt in small dish or bowl. Use a fork to mix until well combined and most of the lumps are gone.
- Pour 1/2 cup boiling water into a measuring cup and slowly add the cocoa mixture, mixing with the fork until completely combined and palm sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately pour in the coconut milk and vanilla extract, stir to dissolve, serve and Enjoy!