The other day my son and I were food shopping at our local Whole Foods Market and there was a woman sampling Goji Berries. My son decided to taste some and declared that he loved them!
Now, this is a big deal because he has tried Goji Berries before and has always had a distaste for them (this is why it’s so important to encourage your kids to taste things over and over and over again!).
If you are unfamiliar, Goji Berries are a SuperFruit. They are a nutrient-dense dried berry originating from China that is rich in antioxidants, particularly beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. They are also high in vegetarian protein (about 1 gram per Tablespoon of berries), contain essential amino acids and are a powerhouse of Vitamin A.
Seeing that he was into the Goji Berries inspired me to create some Superfood chocolate candies for him as a little Valentine’s Day surprise. Truth be told, I kind of suck at making a big deal over most holidays (except Birthdays and Hanukkah / Christmas) so hopefully my son feels the St. Valentine’s spirit when he tastes these candies!
- I used this silicone candy mold. Amazon has a great selection but I also like to buy molds at Jo-Ann Fabric with those 40% and 50% off coupons they seem to have out every other week.
2 Points Plus Each - Recipe Makes 24 Candies
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 10-ounce bag Enjoy Life Mega Chunks (or any chocolate that meets your dietary needs)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch finely ground sea salt
- 1/3 cup Goji Berries
- Hawaiian Sea Salt for finishing
- Combine the chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and finely ground sea salt in the top portion of a double boiler (Click here to learn what that is).
- Heat until chocolate is melted and easy to stir. If you want to temper the chocolate, check out this great tutorial.
- Use a teaspoon to evenly distribute the melted chocolate into the silicone mold cavities, working as quickly and neatly as you can.
- Give the mold a gentle shake to spread out the chocolate and remove any bumps or bubbles.
- Add the goji berries and finish with a sprinkle of Hawaiian or Coarse Sea Salt. Place mold in the fridge for 30 minutes to set. Remove, pop out chocolates and allow to come to room temperature. Store in a glass container and Enjoy!