Well, it’s official.
Sweet Potatoes are making a comeback in my kitchen. This is my third recipe in the last two weeks that features sweet potatoes and dare I say it – it won’t be my last.
Cutting the sweet potatoes with organic carrots is a great way to lighten up your mashed potatoes. The roasting takes it a step further and adds complexity because of the natural caramelization that happens in the oven.
This lovely side dish graced our dinner plates the other night alongside my simple Foolproof Roast Chicken and those Whole Roasted Brussels Sprouts I posted last week. It was a warming and comforting dinner on a dreary, wet PNW day. Unrelated to this recipe but I am (extremely) happy to report that as of today, we are in a warm and sunny weather spell. I hope it sticks around.
Now, as for sweet potatoes – I have some tasty things planned but I promise I will post other yummy dishes in between so you don’t get too worn out on sweet potato dishes. After this one anyway 😉
- 2 (12-ounces) medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into evenly sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- splash plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons organic coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and set aside. Peel carrots and potatoes and but into evenly sized pieces.
- Toss with 1 T coconut oil and pinch kosher salt and spread out on baking sheet.
- Cook 30 to 40 minutes until very tender, turning frequently so the edges don't burn (some brown is OK).
- Once tender, toss in body of food processor OR blender and add remaining salt, cinnamon, ground black and crushed red peppers, coconut oil and a splash or two of almond milk as needed to loosen. Serve hot and Enjoy!