Last week one of my neighbors graciously left a bag of her garden goodies on our doorstep. I made this cauliflower, these Herbed Burgers and used the rest of the herbs the next morning in a baked egg casserole similar to this but with olives, greens and of course, herbs.
These burgers were inspired by the 50/50 Burgers in Eat Like a Dinosaur by Paleo Parents. Their version is 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon, a combination my husband is very fond of but is a bit more time consuming than I can pull off on a standard weeknight.
Here, I combine lean ground beef with ground pork and a medley of fresh herbs for an herbaceous twist on a standard that doesn’t take much more time, if any, to prepare. These can be made ahead of time and frozen raw or cooked.
I served them alongside some roasted Hatch chilies and topped with caramelized sweet onions and crimini mushrooms cooked in Ghee.
7 Points Plus Per Burger -- Based on 8 Burgers (4.5 Ounces Each Before Cooking)
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Finely chop parsley, tarragon and thyme. Add to ground pork, ground beef, kosher salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to incorporate the herbs and spices into the ground meat taking care not to over-mix as you will toughen the meat.
- Form meat into eight equal-sized patties (or use a kitchen scale to weigh out 4.5 ounce balls and press into patties). Use your thumb to make a small imprint in the middle of each patty (to help them stay flat while cooking).
- Grill or cook on a grill pan until desired temperature. Since these have ground pork, I recommend you cook until medium-well or well done. Here is a great link with grilling tips for cooking burgers.