Carrots and curry just go well together. They are very complimentary and find their way into the same dish frequently in my kitchen. One of my recent favorites is to make a Curried Carrot Salad with a bit of sliced almonds for garnish.
I like to use those humongous carrots that are usually sold individually, often called “juicing carrots” to make carrot ribbons, lightly season them with a bit of curry and a handful of complimentary ingredients and chill for a bit to let the flavors meld. It’s an easy and impressive side dish that everyone in my house seems to love!
This recipe calls for 1.5 pounds of carrots but you only wind up using about 1 pound in the recipe because there are little pieces left over that are just too awkward to manage with the peeler. I usually toss these in a ziploc bag and save them for either munching on while cooking or throwing into a stock or soup.
If you don’t mind a touch of sweetener, one teaspoon of honey is a great addition to the dressing!
- 1½ pounds large organic carrots
- 1½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- Begin by washing and peeling the outer layer off of all the carrots.
- Trim ends and discard.
- Move the peeled carrots to a cutting board and place your peeler flat on the thickest end of one carrot. Move the peeler lengthwise in one direction proceeding to make “ribbons”. Continue with this until the carrot piece is too hard to work with. Set aside those carrot stubs to save for later and move on to the next carrot. Repeat.
- Combine remaining ingredients except sliced almonds in a small bowl and mix well. Toss with carrot ribbons until evenly distributed, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, toss with sliced almonds, serve and Enjoy!