My son celebrated his second birthday this past week. A celebration weekend extravaganza with a day at The Children’s Museum, a balloon and waffle wake-up, a long walk to watch really cute dogs retrieve balls from the lake, dinner out at Chipotle (his favorite!), a Digger and Dumper (aka Excavators and Dump Trucks) themed birthday party and a big batch of these Vegan Cheeze Its.
Since we eat minimal dairy products in our house, we don’t buy goldfish or cheese crackers as snacks. I grew up inhaling Cheese-Its and loving that familiar salty, crunchy taste of my favorite after-school treat. When I saw Sarah post Wannabe Goldfish Crackers on her blog Peas and Thank You, I knew it was on. Vegan Cheeze Crackers were making their way into our lives and more specifically, my baby’s birthday party.
Sarah’s recipe is not only fabulous (like the rest of Peas and Thank You) but also Gluten Free. When I wanted to do this for his party, I wanted to use regular flour since that is what I already had in the house, kicked up the spices just a bit and added in Nutritional Yeast for an even cheesier flavor and bonus B12.
Judging from my son and his friends’ reaction, These Vegan Cheeze-Its are a clear winner! Thanks again Sarah!
- Daiya is a brand of Vegan Cheese. Make sure to get the Cheddar Style Shreds.
- I buy my Nutritional Yeast in the bulk foods section at Whole Foods. Bobs Red Mill sells it pre-packaged as well.
- Do yourself a favor and just cut these into squares and do the little fork hole in each one. Don’t be like me and lose 2 hours of your life searching for mini-cookie-cutters to match your son’s birthday party theme only to wind up buying a “2″ and losing another 3 hours of your life cutting out “2″ and only yielding a handful. The squares and fork punch take a total of 3 minutes. Lesson learned!
- 1 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup Daiya Shredded Cheddar “Cheeze”
- ½ cup Earth Balance, room temperature
- 3 ounces cold water
- sea salt for sprinkling
Combine flours, salt, mustard powder, cayenne and nutritional yeast in high powered blender or food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add Cheddar Cheeze shreds and pulse until combined.
- Finally, add in earth balance in small chunks and continue to pulse until combined. Dough will be crumbly.
- Remove from blender and place in a glass bowl. Slowly add in cold water and mix until combined and you have have a dough.
Roll into a ball or disc, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Separate dough ball into smaller manageable balls to roll out.
- Use a (flour dusted) rolling pin to roll dough out to ¼” thick.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into squares, use end of fork to make small puncture hole in middle of each cracker.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Give the crackers a generous sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes (depending on thickness) until golden.
Allow to cool completely before storing.