Lunch is a big thing around here. Especially for my husband. Since he works in an office, I try to pack him lunch almost every morning (or sometimes the night before) so that he has delicious, nutritious food with him at work. I know he could do it himself, but it makes me feel good to put a little love in his lunch bag and let him know I am thinking of him during the day!
One of his favorite sandwiches is a BLT so I thought I would make him a healthier version and use spicy mayo to kick things up just a bit. Well this simple sandwich was so good that I got the request to have it for dinner again last week so I figured I would take some pictures and post to share with you guys.
I don’t think anyone needs me to tell them to make a BLT (with Pork Bacon, Turkey Bacon or Tempeh) but the Spicy Mayo gives it a twist that we love and I think you will too. Especially, if you want to spice up your lunch bag.
- My favorite brand of Turkey Bacon is Wellshire Farms. I generally buy the Classic Sliced Turkey because my son likes to eat it but if you are a fan of Pepper, the Peppered is delicious!
- I like the flavor of Hellman’s (also known as Best Foods) Light Mayonnaise.
- Sriracha is a fantastic hot sauce. It is sometimes called “Asian Ketchup”. I use it all the time; on eggs, in sauces, soups, sandwiches, pretty much anywhere you want a kick. If you don’t have Sriracha in your pantry, you want too!
- These sandwiches hold up really well in the lunch bag, just be sure to place the sliced tomatoes in the middle between the turkey bacon and the lettuce and toast the bread first!
- P.S. None of these brands know (or probably care) that I am talking about them. They are just my favorites 😉
- 8 slices whole-grain sandwich bread
- 12 slices Turkey Bacon (see NOTES)
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced (or 2 to 3 smaller tomatoes)
- romaine lettuce leaves (or another crispy lettuce)
- ¼ cup light Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or to taste)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix mayo and Sriracha together until completely blended.
- Cook turkey bacon according to directions. I generally use a non-stick frying pan and cook in batches then blot with paper towels.
- Lightly toast bread and spread with heaping tablespoon of Spicy Mayo.
- Layer turkey bacon then sliced tomato. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Finish with lettuce.
- Serve and Enjoy!