Did you have a good Fourth of July? I hope so! We did and I am excited to say that summer has *FINALLY* arrived in Seattle. Now, lets cross our fingers and do a dance to the weather gods so that this weather sticks around for a while!
This week’s Food Matters Project challenge is Beet “Sandwiches” (page 83), chosen by Meg from My Wholefood Romance. Bittman’s interpretation of Beet Sandwiches are essentially beet chips topped with a goat cheese, pistachio and watercress filling. To see the original recipe, please click here.
Though they sound yummy, I was in no mood to turn on my oven and I wanted to whip up a quick bite (think light appetizer/snack) that required minimal cooking and less than 10 minutes to pull together.
This little dish gets even easier if you live near a Trader Joe’s and can pick up a package of their pre-cooked beets (peeled and boiled). If you don’t, feel free to prepare your beets how you normally would and make them ahead if you can, as this recipe is flexible as far as the actual beet preparation you choose.
This should be an interesting week, to see what all of the other Food Matters Project members made this week, click here!
1 Point Plus Per Bite - Recipe Makes Approximately 32 Bites
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup shelled and salted pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounce goat cheese log
- 8 ounces (about 4 small) cooked beets
- 1 box water crackers
- Place shelled pistachios in bowl of food processor and process until finely chopped but still a bit crunchy. Remove one tablespoon of pistachios and set aside in a small bowl for garnish.
- Add sea salt, black pepper and goat cheese to chopped pistachios and pulse until combined and crumbly like this.
- Thinly slice cooked beets.
- Line 32 water crackers and place one piece of sliced beet in the center of each cracker.
- Spoon one half-teaspoon of the goat cheese mixture on top of each beet slice.
- Finish with a sprinkle of the chopped pistachios that you set aside earlier, serve and Enjoy!