Rice is so unbelievably versatile, you could make a new dish with it every time and it wouldn’t let you down. This simple side dish features Brown Jasmine Rice and is something I make in big batches (I usually double this recipe) and freeze for future dinners.
Brown rice takes almost an hour to cook and sometimes when I am trying to put dinner on the table, especially on a weeknight, I just don’t have an hour to wait around for it to cook. Particularly when my two-year old is hungry. Have you ever tried to explain to a two-year old that rice takes an hour to cook? Yeah, don’t. Make this and freeze it and save yourself from that dinner time stress episode.
The flavors in this dish pair especially well with Thai and Indian food. This is not spicy at all so if you like heat, add a chile pepper to the water while cooking or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Have a great weekend!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup organic light coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- Rinse rice. Grate ginger. Measure spices, combine with ginger and set aside. Measure coconut milk and water.
- Heat saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil. Add rice, spices and ginger. Cook 30 to 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add water and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a simmer. Cook 50 to 55 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, let sit covered for 10 minutes. fluff with a fork. Serve and Enjoy!