I think it is fair to say that I have a thing for Greek Salad.
First, there were these always-a-hit Greek Salad Bites – an amazingly simple and awesome appetizer party food. Then, I posted my Simple Greek Salad along with the confession that my husband isn’t really a fan of Feta Cheese (but does occasionally humor me by eating it).
Now, we have this Greek Nacho Salad. This one isn’t really my fault. The blame is on the Food Matters Project, specifically, Megan from Art by Megan for picking Greek “Nachos” with Feta Drizzle (page 75) for this week’s challenge. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m not upset, I mean, we already established that I love Greek Salad. But Mr. Everyday Maven – he was not exactly thrilled to hear of yet another incarnation of this dish and more Feta Cheese in his life.
But, and this is a BIG, HUGE BUT – he actually liked it and ate two servings for lunch. Maybe it had more to do with how I tweaked the dressing from the original recipe so that it was more minty than cheesy or maybe he is turning a corner on Feta Cheese. Either way, I’ll take it!
- The Dressing clearly makes way too much. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or just use the rest up over the next couple of days like I did. It made a great veggie dip!
SALAD = 4 Points Plus Per Serving for 4 Side Servings OR 9 Points Plus Per Serving for 2 Entree Sized Servings. DRESSING = 1 Point Plus Per 2 Tablespoons -- Recipe Makes 12 Servings (Recipe Makes Approximately 24 Tablespoons OR 1.5 Cups)
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- (Note that the photo only shows 3 tomatoes but I used 6 as listed below)
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) lowfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves (approximately 4 stems)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 servings plain Pita Chips, divided
- 5 to 6 Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 English cucumber, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine Greek yogurt, feta cheese, mint leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in bowl of food processor or blender.
- Process until completely smooth and set aside in refrigerator (Can be made in advance).
- Cut tomatoes into eighths.
- Slice ends of cucumber and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Cut pitted Kalamata olives in half.
- Slice onion in half and proceed to thinly slice.
- Combine all vegetables in a bowl and give a generous sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grab 4 plates and divide up the Pita Chips, top each with 1/4 of the salad mix and finish with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Serve and Enjoy!
To see what the other Food Matters Project members cooked up this week, click here.