There have got to be at least a thousand variations of Israeli Salad. It’s one of those dishes, like Chicken Soup, where the family has the way “they” make it and that way has been passed down through the generations. Cool, right?
My mom’s mom used to make her an Israeli Salad for dinner almost every night and she put cucumber, tomato, iceberg lettuce, radishes, green pepper, onion, parsley and a simple dressing on it.
I always like to mix things up and really just use up what I have in the produce drawer. You know, if you’re a regular follower, that I love veggies and think, “The more veggies, the more better!”
If you prefer to keep it classic, just stick with cucumber, tomato, onion, herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. The real secret to an Israeli Salad is the chopping. Try to cut everything as uniformly and as close in size as possible. This recipe is all chopping – chop, chop, chop – that is why I make a big batch because I want leftovers after all the hard work!
Excellent paired with my Half the Fat, Double the Serving Hummus, Everyday Babaganoush (recipe coming this week!) and Whole Wheat Pita Bread. Also great for parties or large gathering – a salad that isn’t awkward to eat!
2 Points Plus per serving - Recipe Makes 6 Servings
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 small head Romaine Lettuce (or other crisp lettuce)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large English Cucumber, finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 4 - 6 radishes, finely diced
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or more to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Begin by gathering all of your ingredients and thoroughly washing your produce.
- Chop lettuce into tiny pieces by cutting thin horizontal ribbons and slicing the ribbons vertically.
- I like to leave the skin on the cucumber.
- Next, chop the onion, tomatoes, green pepper, radishes, scallions and herbs.
- Toss with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!