When Snack Girl asked me to share a healthy and quick weeknight dinner recipe, I immediately knew I wanted to do a healthy Indian dish. See, as a longtime Snack Girl reader I know that Snack Girl (and you) love Indian Food but hate the added fat that is often present.
Remember this post from last May? (see: Who Else Wants Restaurant Quality Indian Food Without The Calories? I do!
I was so inspired I immediately ordered the Indian Slow Cooker and have made and loved a bunch of recipes from it (my favorite is the Simple Lentils).
Since getting a healthy, delicious dinner on the table is really tough some nights (read: most!), I wanted to provide you with a foolproof, easy and delicious dish that the whole family will love.
Weeknights are tough; everyone is hungry, tired from work and nobody (especially my toddler) seems to have the patience for prep work and cook time.
If this sounds familiar, then you will love this Slow Cooker Curry Chicken. I highlighted some additional ways to save even more time below.
This is a 6 Points Plus per serving entree that feeds the whole family and pairs perfectly with my Spiced Coconut Rice. And it only takes ten minutes to throw together including hitting the start button on the slow cooker. 🙂
Thanks again to Lisa from Snack Girl for hosting me! (EDITED: Recipe Now Below)
6 Points+ Per Serving -- Recipe Makes Approximately 6 Servings (depending on size of chicken) -- Individual Serving is Based on 4-ounce serving of Chicken Breast + 1/2 cup of sauce OR 3-ounce serving of Chicken Thigh or Leg + 1/2 cup of sauce.
10 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1/2 cup mild curry paste (such as 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic (depending on size)
- 3? piece ginger root, peeled
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (or 1 medium tomato cubed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3-to-4-pound whole organic chicken, skin removed, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into half-moons and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 dried red chiles
- fresh cilantro (or parsley) for serving
- Combine curry paste, vinegar, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, cumin, cardamom, salt and pepper in bowl of food processor (or blender). Process until mixture is a paste.
- Place cut up chicken in slow cooker.
- Halve onions and thinly slice.
- Layer onions on top of chicken and pour sauce over. If using dried chile(s), place into slow cooker.
- Cover and set timer to 8 Hours on Low OR 4 Hours on High.
- Serve with coarsely chopped cilantro. Excellent with Spiced Coconut Rice or Toasted Garlic + Parsley Quinoa. Enjoy!
- Patak’s Mild Curry Paste is pretty readily available. If you have a hard time finding it, you can always turn to the internet. I have also seen a couple other brands at Whole Foods. If you buy a different brand, just recalculate the Points+.
- If you want to use skinless, boneless chicken – I suggest a 2-pound combination of breasts and thighs (fat trimmed) cut into large chunks.
- If you really want to save time, process the sauce the night before and store it in a container. Cut up onions and toss into a Ziploc bag. In the morning, just combine ingredients according to instructions below, set the slow cooker and head out the door to work!
- I made this in a 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker. A 5-Quart Slow Cooker or above should be fine!
Recipe Inspired by Chicken Curry in a Hurry posted in Bon Appetit Magazine September 2009 (Yes, I am that person that rips out recipes and keeps them in a folder for what seems like forever for inspiration)!