If you like my Comfort Food Zucchini Casserole, you are going to LOVE this Eggplant version!
It’s essentially the same recipe with a couple of modifications like swapping the Zucchini for Eggplant. I have to say, I like this version even better!
The Eggplant is so creamy, it melts into the casserole and it tastes even richer but, amazingly, it is still only 4 Points Plus for a huge piece. The only problem with this dish is how fast it disappears.
See below for instructions. The changes are simple; I highlight how to salt the eggplant to draw out the bitter liquid before cooking, switch to a yellow onion and using non-stick cooking spray instead of a Prepara mister to get the bread crumbs nice and brown at the end. Otherwise, it’s the same good ol’ casserole you already know and love!
- Like my Everyday Beef + Bean Chili, this recipe uses pre-prepared ‘tube-style’ polenta. If you aren’t familiar with this product, make sure to click on the Chili recipe and read about it in the Notes section.
- Unless you have homemade pasta sauce already in your freezer, save time and use your favorite jarred sauce. I like Trader Joe’s Rustico Pomodoro Pasta Sauce. If you use a different sauce, make sure to recalculate the Points Plus.
- To make this Vegan, omit the grated cheese and substitute nutritional yeast or Vegan Parm Substitute.
4 Points Plus Per Serving - Recipe Makes 6 Servings (Alternately 3 Points Plus Per Serving for 8 Servings)
15 minPrep Time
47 minCook Time
1 hr, 2 Total Time
- 1 package pre-prepared polenta, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 jar Trader Joe’s Rustico Pomodoro Pasta Sauce
- handful basil leaves
- handful flat leaf parsley (mostly leaves)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4" rounds
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- non-stick cooking spray
- Clean eggplant and proceed to slice into 1/4" rounds.
- Place eggplant rounds in a colander and generously sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Let eggplant sit in colander while you prep the remaining ingredients. *See Comfort Food Zucchini Casserole for remaining prep instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Cover casserole with tin foil and bake covered for 40 minutes.
- At 40 minutes, pull Casserole out, remove tin foil and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray and put back into the oven for 5 additional minutes. If bread crumbs are not brown and crispy, switch oven to Broil for an additional 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Pull out of oven and let cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.