There is a restaurant in my hometown called Dmitri’s that has the most wonderful, yet simple food. The menu is mostly Seafood, specifically Shellfish and almost all small plates. There is usually upwards of an hour wait at their original location and believe me it is worth it!
One of my favorite dishes there is the Spicy Snap Peas with Feta. I tried to recreate the dish in my mind the last time I was there and I came up with this side dish. Just a few ingredients, tangy, light, and yet really satisfying. It’s really hard to share with 3 other people so be warned you may just have to eat two servings!
I used regular Feta. This recipe calls for such a small amount, it is worth the taste of the regular so don’t get the light or pre-crumbled if you can avoid it.
Pomi are some of the best shelf-stable tomatoes out there but they can be expensive. They are worth using in this recipe since the tomato sauce is featured so prominently. Also, the standard box has 3 cups and this recipe calls for 1.5 cups. I recommend immediately freezing the other 1.5 cups and having it ready the next time you make a batch of these Snap Peas!
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, washed, cleaned, and blanced
- 1.5 cups Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 2 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove shallot, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Blanch the Snap Peas: Bring medium pot of water to a boil. When water is boiling, submerge snap peas for 30 seconds. Quickly remove from water with slotted spoon or drain. Set aside. (Many times blanching calls for icing the vegetables immediately after removing them from the boiling water but for this recipe it is not necessary).
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add in tomatoes, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Let cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Plate snap peas, spoon tomato sauce over and finish with the crumbled feta cheese.