Let’s talk about Thanksgiving – it is after all, right around the corner! I conjured up a potential Thanksgiving menu in my head (which I posted on my Facebook Fan page – if you aren’t already a fan – come over and join us!) and one of the side dishes was this Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Shitake Mushrooms. I love mushrooms, especially this time of year, and imagined the meaty shitake mushrooms as a great complement to the delicate shredded brussels sprouts. Not only did this recipe work first time out, but it worked out great if I do say so myself.
My husband came home and after “tasting” the dish, promptly asked if he could “…just finish it”.
This Thanksgiving, I’m planning three savory, vegetable based side dishes so I can stay within my Points Plus plan and still participate in the big family dinner and not feel deprived. This side dish came out so good it may just become a traditional dish in our home.
It’s definitely on this year’s. Try it yourself to see what I am talking about!
One down, two more to go, stay tuned!
- A food processor (with shredding attachment) is a must for this recipe. If you don’t have one and are committed to making it, use a hand-held box shredder for both the shallots and the brussels sprouts. But don’t get mad at me when your arm is tired!
- Read the notes section of my Peppery Braised Greens + Mushrooms for info on the Organic Mushroom Broth and a substitution if you can’t find it.
- The French Fried Onions add a great texture to the final dish. You can make some homemade fried onions as well but make sure to account for the Points Plus. Actually, homemade fried shallots would be phenomenal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, shredded
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned and shredded
- 8 ounces Shitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, sliced into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup organic mushroom broth (separated into ¼, 1/4, and ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance (or organic butter)
- 2 tablespoons Trader Joe's French Fried Onions (or another natural brand) Optional
- PREP: Peel shallot and slice in half or small enought to fit in chute of food processor. Insert the shredder blade in the food processor. Feed shallots through chute until shredded. Set aside.
- Clean brussels sprouts, cut ends off and slice in half. Feed brussels sprouts through chute of food processor until shredded. Set aside. Clean mushrooms, slice off stems, and cut into thick slices. . Get out your mushroom broth and a measuring cup. Finely chop fresh rosemary to yield 1 teaspoon and set aside.
- COOK: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil. Add in shredded shallots and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add ¼ cup of mushroom broth and let cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brussels sprouts, mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and an additional ¼ cup of mushroom broth. Stir to combine and cook, covered for 8 minutes. Remove lid, add remaining ¼ cup of broth, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, fresh rosemary, and Earth Balance. Stir to combine until Earth Balance is completely melted. Remove from heat and serve with French Fried Onions on top. Enjoy!