Kale seems to be one of these things that people either love, hate, or are totally scared of. I am here to tell you not to be afraid of Kale. This is a super easy recipe that will please Kale-lovers, possibly soften Kale-haters and definitely convince those afraid of Kale that it isn’t a monster in the veggie aisle.
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, the more you eat of it, the better. Plus it’s very fibrous and fills you up! We’ll get to Kale Chips later but for now let’s get back to this Everyday Kale Salad.
- I usually buy Dinosaur Kale but I have used both Curly Kale and Red Kale in this salad so don’t worry if that is all you can find or grow.
- I used Apple Cider Vinegar as the acid but you can easily substitute lemon juice.
- The real secret to this salad is to “massage” the Kale with the salt and oil, it helps to break down the cell walls and release water, which leaves the Kale delicious, tender and very easy to digest raw.
- You will see me using gloves in the picture below. When you massage the Kale leaves, it tends to stain your fingers and fingernails. Not the best look when you just paid $15 for a perfect Ballet Slippers manicure.
- I like to make this ahead of time and let it sit for an hour or so but if you don’t have time, just eat it right away!
- 1 head Dinosaur Kale, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Oil (or Avocado Oil, Olive Oil or Walnut Oil)
- 1½ Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- Stem Kale leaves (hold rib with one hand and pull down the center rib with other hand) and clean thoroughly. Make a pile of leaves and cut into thin ribbons.
- Add oil, vinegar, and spices to Kale.
- Massage oil, vinegar and spices into Kale leaves for about 5 minutes. “Massaging” means to gently squeeze the leaves together and release, working your way through the bowl a couple times.
- Add carrots and cilantro and toss. Refrigerate for about an hour and serve.