Lettuce wraps are one of my go-to weeknight dinners. They are easy, healthy, quick and one pan to prepare. Perfect for everyday cooking!
If you are like me and a big fan of lettuce wraps, you may have tried my Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps or made my Moo Shu Veggies and used lettuce as the wrapper instead of tortillas. If so, I have a treat for you and it comes in the form of Curried Chicken and Chickpea Lettuce Wraps.
While Chicken Curry is delicious on it’s own, why not lighten and brighten it up by serving in hearty lettuce leaves instead of with rice? Adding chickpeas to the dish boosts the protein and fiber, making you feel more full and satisfied longer (bonus!). I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the flavors and spices come together on this one.
As promised on my Facebook Fanpage, the next Lettuce Wrap recipe I’ll post will be my Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps followed by Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps – Stay Tuned!
- If you are fortunate enough to live near a Trader Joe’s pick up these “Just the Leaves” Romaine Lettuce Leaves. They are perfect for lettuce wraps and all the work is already done for you! Alternately, I also like Butter Lettuce but any hearty leafy lettuce will work. See my Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps Notes section where I discuss lettuce options in more detail.
- If you do have any leftover, it makes great leftovers and freezes nicely.
7 Points Plus per serving -- Recipe Makes 4 Servings -- Individual Serving is 1/4 of finished dish
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1" piece fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided into 1/2 tsp and 1/2 tsp)
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- lettuce leaves for serving
- cilantro leaves for serving
- Peel onion, garlic, and ginger. Cut in pieces.
- Combine all spices and only half of the Kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon) in a small dish.
- To prepare chicken breasts, I suggest slicing down the center and then crosswise to make bite size pieces.
- Open chickpeas, drain, and rinse and set aside. Measure 1/3 cup of frozen peas out and set on counter. Open can of tomato sauce. Pick cilantro leaves and place into a bowl. If necessary, prepare lettuce leaves for serving.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add canola oil.
- When oil is just hot, onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for one minute, stirring continuously.
- Add curry powder, cumin, garam masala, crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp of the salt to pan. Stir constantly and let cook for 30 seconds until spices are fragrant.
- Add in chicken and mix to coat with spices.
- Next, add in tomato sauce. Bring to boil and lower light to a simmer.
- Add in chickpeas and frozen green peas. Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid, add in remaining 1/2 tsp of salt, stir to combine and let simmer an additional 5 to 7 minutes uncovered.
- Shut off heat and let cool while you clean up.