Today was one of those days that just requires a hot, home-cooked meal. It was cold, windy, and dark by dinnertime, ugg. It’s the kind of day where I just want to snuggle up on the couch with a book or Survivor and have something warm and comforting. Oh, and have someone else cook and deliver it.
In this case, my crockpot did all the work! This Chicken Cacciatore takes less than 15 minutes to assemble, set the cook time and forget it.
Not only is it easy, there is no added fat, plus it simmers away all afternoon making the house smell ridiculously good, and best of all – is loved by each of us, even my opinionated toddler!
- Make sure to have the butcher remove the skin for you when you purchase the chicken. I have made this recipe with a whole chicken and various combinations of bone-in, boneless white and dark meat. My favorite combo is boneless, skinless thighs and bone-in, skinless legs. The whole chicken is traditional and good but you have to pick out a lot of little bones. Breasts are also fine – my family just happens to prefer dark meat in this dish.
- It is delicious served alongside a whole wheat pasta, brown rice, or my personal favorite, quinoa. There is something about this sauce that pairs really well with quinoa! I also like to make sauteed greens (think broccoli rabe or spinach) on the side.
- You should probably use a dry white wine but I always use whatever white I have around and that is most often Chardonnay.
- The cooking time is 4 Hours on High – if you want to cook this all day while at work, try setting it to 8 Hours on Low. I haven’t attempted this yet but it should work!
Recipe Adapted From: Chicken Cacciatore with Cremini Mushrooms
- 2 pounds assorted skinless chicken parts (I used 6 bone-in, skinless chicken legs and 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 small or 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes in juice (unsalted)
- PREP: Gather your ingredients, there is not that much to do at all!
- The chicken should be defrosted or fresh from the supermarket (without skin). Open package and place into crockpot. . Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- Clean mushrooms and cut off stems at base. . Slice into quarters and set aside.
- Clean celery and cut off top and bottom pieces. Thinly slice into half moons and set aside.
- Peel onion and slice into half vertically Thinly slice into half moons and set aside. Measure out wine and flour. Pull out 1 sprig of fresh rosemary and open can of tomatoes.
- COOK: Add rosemary to crock pot. Sprinkle flour over chicken and pour in wine.
- Add sliced celery.
- Then add quartered mushrooms.
- Next add sliced onions.
- Finish by pouring can of tomatoes including juice over chicken mixture. Do not stir.
- Set crockpot to HIGH for 4 hours and forget it! Do not open the lid or stir. Warning: Your house will smell amazing and you will linger around the kitchen more than usual. This is normal. Serve and Enjoy!