Brownies have always been one of my favorite desserts. My mom made the most amazing brownies for the holidays and special occasions. They were perfectly moist, fudge-y, chocolate-y and loaded with 14 Points Plus EACH!! Unbelievable right? Well, they taste that good too.
But I just can’t spend half a day’s Points Plus on 1 single brownie – there is just not enough time in the day to do that amount of activity points!!
With the holidays (quickly) approaching, I decided it was time I baked something, so I finally tackled a very serious brownie makeover.
These brownies are much like my mom’s in that they are fudge-y, chocolate-y and wonderfully moist! They have mini-chocolate chips in the batter and sprinkled on top. These are also doused with Kahlua Liquor and spiked with Starbucks Via. Now, drumroll please…… they are ONLY 4 Points Plus EACH!
- Edited to Add: I received a lot of emails asking why the addition of the black beans? Well, the beans add moisture resulting in a super fudge-y brownie, mimic adding in more fat and have the bonus of protein and fiber! Plus, you cannot tell there are beans in there in taste or texture!!!
- I used two Starbucks Via (Instant Coffee) Christmas Blend, which is Bold. I don’t recommend substituting regular ground coffee as the flavor is not as concentrated as the Via Ready Brew. I also don’t recommend using the flavored Via (Iced, Mocha, Vanilla, Caramel or Iced Caramel) they are 80% sugar!
- The disposable foil cake pan is a common item at Dollar Stores or Wal-Mart. I buy mine at the Dollar Store and they sell a 2-pack for $1. At the supermarket or Wal-Mart, they are usually around $3 for a 2-pack. Just an FYI
- I like to use a double boiler to melt large amounts of chocolate and/or butter to prevent burning.
- You only need 2 ounces of Kahlua for this recipe so if you don’t have it in the house, pick up one of those airplane sized bottles.
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 individual packets of Starbucks Via Instant Coffee (I used Christmas Blend)
- 4 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- 1⅓ cup raw sugar
- 3 cups (2 15-ounce cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces (or squares) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- ½ cup organic butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces Kahlua Liquor
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 foil oblong cake pan (12¼ x 8¼ x 1 3/12)
- Preheat oven to 350F while you gather your ingredients. (Note you only see half the amount of butter, eggs and beans in this picture because I had a severe case of Mommy Brain when pulling the ingredients together. I did correct it when I started cooking just not for the picture)
- In a small glass bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt and Via Instant coffee. Set aside.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, beat eggs with hand mixer (or stand mixer) until light and creamy.
Now, slowly add in sugar and beat well.
- Next, slowly add in flour mixture until well combined.
- Set up a double boiler on the stove top and melt butter and baking chocolate over a low heat.
- Place rinsed and drained beans into bowl of food processor. Add vanilla and Kahlua Liquor and melted butter and chocolate.
Process until pureed.
- Fold bean batter into flour batter with a spatula taking care not to overmix.
- finally, fold in about half of the mini chocolate chips. Lightly spray cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour in batter, using a spatula to evenly spread in the cake pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining mini chips and place on middle rack of pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Place cake pan on an elevated cooling rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes to allow brownies to set.
- Gently snip the corners of the cake pan for easy release and cut into 28 servings (7 horizontal rows and 4 vertical rows).
Store in an cookie tin or covered with tinfoil and Enjoy!