This time of year apples are everywhere, especially if you are lucky enough to live in or near the Apple capital of the World; Washington State! Fresh, local, and organic apples are so plentiful and cheap right now, I just can’t stop buying huge quantities of them.
One of my favorite ways to use up ripe apples is to make Apple Chips. Yep, kind of like Kale Chips but sweeter. There isn’t much to this recipe, especially if you have a mandoline but the reward is great. These apple chips taste so fresh and sweet without any added sugar. They smell fantastic when cooking!
If you have a toddler like me, it is a fun activity to do together and a great opportunity to explore different flavors by using a variety of apples and having a “taste test”!
- If you don’t have these sheet pan cooking / cooling racks (which by the way are amazing for all kinds of things!) then just line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- A mandoline is a great kitchen gadget and doesn’t have to be expensive. I have this one by OXO and it was only $39.99 plus I used a 20% off coupon so really $32. If you don’t have one, you can cut the apples by hand but it will probably take at least twenty minutes and you won’t get even slices.
- You can use any variety of apple – I encourage you to experiment and find your favorite!
- I have made these with ground cinnamon sprinkled on top, even with pumpkin pie spice but we prefer them plain and unadulterated.
- Storage: We almost never have any left-over but I have stored them the same way I store Kale Chips (see notes section for details).
- 4 apples (I used Gala)
- ½ lemon
- ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200F. Wash apples and slice off the top.
- Set your mandoline to 3mm or ⅛" and slice apples.
- Place apple slices in a bowl and squeeze lemon juice over them.
- Assemble one layer on a cookie sheet fitted with cooking rack insert or parchment paper.
- Cook for one hour. Gently turn and cook for an additional hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes (they may not feel completely crisp when you first pull them out of the oven but after 10 minutes they will be). Enjoy!